Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Lady Ise



One of the wonderful things about being a teacher is that I am always learning. As I read, research, prepare for classes, I am always coming upon something new. Sometimes it is practical. . . a new idea to use in classroom management. . . an exercise to teach a concept . . .an illustration that makes clarifies. Other times it is a quote or an author or a poem I had not discovered yet. I love this. It's like stumbling into a room I thought I knew already and finding a treasure chest hidden in the corner. Today's treasure was a female Japanese poet known as Lady Ise. I discovered the following poem:

Field-Burnt Over

My body is like
A field wasted by winter.
If only
I, like the field burnt-over
Awaited the return of spring.
--Lady Ise

I loved this imagery, so began to look around a bit more and discovered these other gems of Asian poetry:


I Have Always Known

I have always known
That at last I would
Take this road, but yesterday
I did not know that it would be today
--Ariwara no Narihira

Not Speaking Of The Way

Not speaking of the way
Not thinking of what comes after,
Not questioning name or fame,
Here, loving love,
You and I look at each other.
--Akiko Yosano


Why Should I Be Bitter

Why should I be bitter
About someone who was
A complete stanger
Until a certain moment
In a day that has passed
--Saigyo Hoshi


Just thought I would share my treasures of the day!
Enjoy



































No comments: