Well Thanksgiving is not a holiday here in CR so I had work, and the kids had classes just like always. But we didn't let something little like that stop us from celebrating!! I just made everything up ahead of time on Tuesday and Wednesday, so all I had to do was gather it all together and get it in the oven when I got home. (We did get out early today so I was home by noon!) Then we got the kids and I think we were eating by about 2:30. Kind of a mid-afternoon Thanksgiving, but very fun nonetheless!!
We were able to find most everything we needed to make the traditional fixings for Thanksgiving day so that made it double the fun. Turkeys are very expensive here (about $50 each!!) so we decided to opt for chicken instead. But when I was out shopping on Wednesday a local grocery store had a bunch of turkey legs (drumsticks) cooked on the rotisserie for sale. They were only about a $1.50 each so I grabbed several! The kids thought that was great fun!! (even though they were tough and not very tasty--I opted for the chicken-- but my little ones loved the big huge drumsticks as the photos below will show!!) I even found time to make some pies. Yum. It was the first year I celebrated Thanksgiving without a house full of people. It was just Darrin and I and the kids. At first I thought that was rather sad. But in the end it was wonderful. We have so much to be thankful for, and to be quite honest, it was very relaxing not to have to host a houseful of guests. And since I am exhausted (still) from my new job and Darrin had just returned from his week long trip to Honduras, we kind of needed a day to hang out as a family.
So yay!!! Yay to families and traditions that involve mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole and pumpkin pie. Yay to thankful hearts and full tummies!! "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! " (bonus points from Mrs. King if anyone recognizes that line!!)
Love you all and hope you had blessed days with your loved ones as well!!






4 comments:
Love the drumstick photos (lol)
One of our most peaceful Thanksgivings had only 7 of us in attendance :0)
Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!
You're all so pickin' adorable... and your apple pie looks near perfect!
Glad you had such a lovely (non)holiday, Chrissy.
oh my gosh! those drumsticks are gigantic!
Oh my goodness how fun.
Uhm, you and I have the exact same tablecloth by the way. Actually I have two, I use them for every holiday. Green goes with everything, doesn't it?
Love the Jabberwocky ... :)
Post a Comment