Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Chiverre


I'm due for a new post. It's almost Semana Santa here -- which means vacations, hot days, beach trips, plays and parades in every neighborhood, and food. The store aisles are filled with fish. And chiverre. Yes, that's right, chiverre. It is a large squash type thing that I have only seen here. And it is always eaten during Semana Santa and really never seen again until the following year. I have made "miel de chiverre" in the past. (literally means chiverre honey, but it's really more like a thick preserves) But this year I tried something new. Chiverre cristalizado. I think we would say candied chiverre. Explanations and pictures to come soon. (I can tell you're on the edge of your seats!!)
Here's a sneak preview of what awaits:

(cast of characters: pickling lime, chiverre strips, fig leaves, cloves, cinnamon, and lots and lots of sugar.)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I would love to try this, Chrissy! Never seen such a thing before. Alas, dumb geography keeps us apart. :)

Tammy said...

Okay, I've got my chiverre and it's rotting on my counter while I wait for directions about how to prepare this!