The Easter tradition of getting new clothes and dressing up for church doesn't really exist here, nor is it a popular Sunday for even going to church (everyone goes out of town to the beach for Semana Santa and so many are traveling home on Sunday). There is no tradition of Easter bunnies or Easter eggs or jelly beans or yummy Reese's eggs (that I do miss). So many of the ideas of Spring with pastel colors and little chicks, etc do not exist here.
In Costa Rica, Easter falls at the end of Semana Santa, or Holy Week. Due to the strong Catholic history of the country, the entire week is a holiday week here. All schools are closed and most businesses. Thursday and Friday are required holidays and nothing is open. It also marks the end of summer and the sunny season -- so most people take one last trip to the beach. Actually like most of the country goes to the beach!! Traditional foods are the chiverre (pictured below-- and yes, Tammy, I'll eventually explain!!) as well as other candied fruits and many different kinds of fish.
In the past, we too, have taken advantage of the break to head to the sun and beach. But this year, I've been so tired and overwhelmed with work, that we decided to just stay put. I've slept in late, drank about 10 liters of diet coke, watched TV, played with the kids, etc. It was heaven. :o) (Oh and I also made a huge mess all over the patio by pulling out ALL my scrapbooking supplies and making cards all weekend.)
Today on Easter, we celebrate that Jesus has risen!! Not with new clothes or Easter Eggs or a fancy lunch. But we did go to church with the few left in town and worship with other believers. And I did make the kids take the obligatory family Easter pics. It started when they were wearing new Easter outfits, but now I just like to have it to look back and remember and compare.
The King Kids -- Easter 2010 in the front yard
No matter where you celebrated, no matter how, I hope you took time today to be thankful and celebrate the reason for Easter!! Love and hugs from CR!!
No comments:
Post a Comment