Monday, September 18, 2006

3 day weekend.

September 15 = Independence Day for Costa Rica (and all Central American countries). So we had a long three day weekend. We celebrated the 15th by going to a parade. All the local schools march in an area parade--some with bands (usually just drums and xylophones); some with just students marching to show their patriotic pride; a few with typical dancers and costumes. None of our kids were marching this year, but they knew lots of kids from their school who were marching so we went to see. We also have some friends whose son was marching with his school (which had an actual band with brass and woodwinds!) in the same parade. So it was a fun day.

Top, school kids dressed up in traditional Costa Rican clothes of days gone by. Kind of like we, in the US, would dress up in pioneer clothes.
Bottom, traditional CR dancers








The rest of the weekend we spent just resting and catching up on a few house projects. We've been doing lots of odd jobs. We added a new flower bed with little flowering plants to the front yard; painted the back patio; I'm still finishing painting the laundry room. Also we have several birthday parties in the next week so I am making a few little crafts. I made another little purse and am working on a painted canvas. It didn't turn out perfect. But it is cute and I think the little girl will like it!

Here are some pictures so you will know what I am talking about!!

The first picture is our backyard and that yellow post is the only picture I have thus far of our new patio paint job. The whole back porch area is now that pretty yellow instead of the odd blue/green it was before. :o) (like the wall in the next picture)
Next ,a picture of Wyatt watering the new little flower bed.





Finally, a picture of the canvas with the initial B that I am attempting for a little friend of ours. I already wish I had done several things differently. But it is a learn as you go project. And this is where I ended up. Still not bad for my first painting attempt since I did paint by numbers in grade school!! :o)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your canvas is adorable! Especially if it's going to a little girl!!

Anonymous said...

Chrissy, Your back yard is beautiful, I really like the yellow-can't wait to see it! The flowers look great. I wish Wyatt was here to help me water mine! I think the canvas is so cute! What a great gift!

Cathy said...

Oh goodness, I love that canvas! You did a great job on it!

Sounds like you had a nice weekend... glad to hear it, friend!

Susie said...

This is gorgeous- what are you talking about changing things?!

Anonymous said...

Love the canvas! I may have to attemp one too. Hey if my friend Chrissy can do I'm willing to give it a try!!
Miss you!!! Wish you would have walked in the door today!
Jen