Monday, June 12, 2006

Costa Rican Fun Fact #1

Costa Rica Fun Fact #1 -- This may be quite obvious to those of you who follow the sport, but soccer is a BIG deal in Latin America. Costa Rica is no exception. This past Friday was the opening day of the World Cup in Germany. And Costa Rica played vs. Germany in the opening game. It was quite a thrill to play the inaugural game. So, to celebrate, the new CR president declared it a government holiday. Schools across the country were cancelled, banks closed, stores and business temporarily shut the doors. And from 10 am till noon, the the entire country focused in on "La Sele" (short for La Seleccion -- or the Selection-- the CR players 'selected' to play on the national team) You could hear groans from every house on my street at each of Germany's four goal and loud screams, cheers, car horns, etc as Costa Rica scored their two goals. Yes, we lost. But the country was excited. 2 goals scored against the "home" team---making history by playing in the opening game and by being part of the highest scoring opener ever. Big, big news in my little corner of the world. Somehow much bigger than the US loss 3-0 to Czech Republic today! Pura Vida!!

ps-- Also I've been meaning to tell you about the pictures I have taken that I used in the Pura Vida banner above. The first is a palm tree from Manuel Antonio National Park, the second the ruins of a cathedral destroyed by earthquakes in Cartago, and the third the church steeple in Grecia (this metal church was actually imported from Belgium in the late 1800s!) And the Pura Vida blog entry below contains a picture of a brightly painted city Municipal building.

Costa Rica is such a beautiful country as you can see, I hope to add a photo album link here with more pictures. But I have to figure out how to do that first. I'm still new at this blog stuff!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm rather jealous that you live in such an exotic place!

Chrissy King said...

Well, Nadine, Costa Rica is beautiful. But to be honest my life doesn't seem too exotic. I do laundry, cook, wash dishes, run the kids to practice, pick the kids up, do more dishes, go to the store, wash some more laundry, etc. A couple times a year, though, we leave the hustle-bustle of the city and head to see a new beach or volcano or whatever. Those are the pictures you see. Posting a picture of my pile of folded school uniforms or my dirty dishes doesn't seem quite as interesting-- but would be much more normal for me!!

michelle_d said...

Hee hee. Exotic laundry. I'll bet 4 kids make quite a bit of laundry.

Thanks for sharing some fun facts about Costa Rica, Chrissy. It's quite fascinating.

Almost as fascinating as laundry ;)