Thursday, June 29, 2006

Table for 36 please!

Well, I just hosted 36 people for supper. Yes, you read that right! One of the fun parts about being a missionary is the opportunity to meet so many people. One way we often do that is in hosting summer mission groups from churches in the US. Since last weekend (thus no blog entries!!) we have been hosting a wonderful group of 23 young people. We have been trying to show them some of the exciting things God is doing in the lives of people here as well as the many needs that still exist and of course some of the natural beauty of Costa Rica. It is fun to see them experience for the first time all the new things about visiting a foreign country. And they are a big help and encouragement to us and to our families. We have four girls staying in our house. They have played Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land and Connect Four about 100 times with our youngest two. And even done so with a smile. I like to think of it as God sending us "aunt and uncle" type figures when we are so far away from all the Aunts and Uncles that our kids love so much. You know-- someone to spoil them, play with them, treat them special. They are only here for two weeks, but our kids always fall in love with the sweet high schoolers and college age kids that make up these groups. So if I don't write a lot in the next few days, you know why!

On another note, today was the last day of school for my kids until the end of July. They have a 3 week mid-year break and they are EXCITED!! The school day starts early here: 7am. We have to leave our house by 6:30 every morning to get them there on time which means we should be getting up by 5:30 (which is usually 5 :45 or sometimes 6 -- which produces a crazy mad 30-min get ready dash to the door!). I think that is awfully early for little guys (and their moms!!) So the kids are very excited about no alarm clocks tomorrow. I told them we could all just wake up on our own. Something tells me I will enjoy that too!

Soon I will write more and tell you about our crazy day at the Immigration office today trying to finish our residency paper work. I also want to share a few fun things about shopping at the little house-front stores here (called pulperias or mercaditos). Whenever we have visitors I hear all the things that surprise them and remember again what things are unique and novel about life here. Truly after a while everything seems normal to me. So it is fun to "see" through new eyes sometimes!! Also I will share a couple Costa Rican recipes. Do you know you can actually feed a group of 36, like tonight, rather inexpensively if you fix 'picadillo de vainicas' I will tell you what that is soon!!

Thanks for reading. More as soon as I can get to it!!

ps-- Buster is doing great. I braved giving him his first bath yesterday and we both survived!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I totally feel you on every single part of your post. Will you be cooking for them all the whole time? This year is an odd one, because we only have one missions team. And, it is so funny to remember 'new' all the things that were so weird to you in the beginning, that you have just gotten used to. It is so weird and cool to understand what you are talking about!

Susie said...

I love to read about your adventures in Costa Rica and how God is using you there. I'm sure it's quite a treat to have vistiors from "home."

I hope your kids slept in, too :)

Anonymous said...

i'd hate to be the one washing the dishes after that!!! ;)

Chrissy King said...

Ha Nadine! I've learned over the years. After supper, each person has to wash their own plate, cup and fork!! Works best for EVERYONE that way!!