Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Name this flower




My husband went around yesterday taking some pictures of the flowers in bloom in our front yard to e-mail to his mom. I thought I'd share this one as it is so unique. Growing up in the Midwestern US, we didn't have these in our front yard! They are very interesting and droop downward with these huge red blooms. But what are they? I haven't a clue. I'm going to have to ask my neighbors or do a web search or something. Do any of you know?? I'd love to find out what it is. I'll let you know if I figure it out!! Have a good day!!

7 comments:

Marie said...

No idea what it is, but it is VERY cool :)

Anonymous said...

wish my mom was a little more computer savvy, she'd find it quick for us. Love your banner.

Anonymous said...

whoa those are so cool!!!! i want flowers like that in my front yard!

michelle_d said...

That is just gorgeous! Wow!

Anonymous said...

I saw these flowers in St Lucia, they're gorgeous! They're either called Lobster Claw or Crab Claw - that's what our tour guide told us.

Chrissy King said...

Steph R - Thank you!! I looked up lobster claw images on the web and you are correct. I discovered the official name is "heliconia rostrata" but the common name is "lobster claw". So now I know (and so do all of you!!) Thanks Steph!!

Cathy said...

Wow. Those are amazing.

And they do look just like lobster claws, don't they?

Just a little jealous of your tropical flowers... =)