Sunday, August 20, 2006

Costa Rican Flowers!!

I want to learn more about the flowers here in Costa Rica. The truth is -- they are beautiful. But the problem is, I don't recognize any of them. They are so very different from anything I saw growing up in the Midwest US. So I have a lot of learning to do. All of these flowers were in the same area, growing at the edge of the lake I visited last weekend. I have no idea what any of them are called. Do any of you know? I have a good friend here who is an agronomist and knows so much about the plants and flowers here in CR. I need to ask him if he can tell me the names of any of these. They are each so unique.





The interesting thing about the flowers in these first two pictures is that each of the little sections of the flower were like little cups and they were filled with water. It was in the afternoon when I took this and it hadn't rained yet that day, so am assuming it is from earlier rain or collected from the dew. But each and every little rounded petal was full with water!

I always am amazed when looking at so many new and unique flowers at the creativity God used when He made things here on Earth. He could have made one type of flower. But he made so many types and colors and scents. I love that! I think it reflects both something about His nature as well as His love for us! Makes me smile!!







Below are a large grouping of water lilies from the lake's edge. They had the prettiest purple blooms, which unfortunately are hard to see in this picture!!


The flowers below looked from a distance like grapes on a vine. They grew all over the tops and sides of a set of arched trellises. When you got closer you could see they looked like little green berries (see below). But instead of being a solid fruit, it bloomed out into these bright purple little flowers. (see bottom picture). When the entire group was in full bloom it was a large purple cluster and from a distance looked like purple grapes-- up close you realized they were purple blooms-but still in this interesting grape-like hanging cluster and growing along the vines. I must find out what these are called as they were so amazing to see up close.

Don't you just love learning new things? I'll post the names for you if I ever find out what they are!! Hope you each have a great week this week!! --ck



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous pictures chrissy! the flowers look so cool, i'd never think that they'd be so different, but i guess why wouldn't they!?

Cathy said...

Wow. How beautiful.

God is so creative.

I LOVE seeing and hearing about CR... thanks for sharing.

Can you share more about what it is you do there? Are you church planters? I'd love to know how I can pray specifically for your family.

Mary Jo said...

Wow, aren't those gorgeous!

Jenny L. said...

These are incredible! They look like cactus.

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are beautiful! You are so lucky to get to see these all the time!