Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hello!

Hi friends? How are you all doing this week? Well, I hope. I am doing ok. My husband is traveling this week so I am learning what a hard job all the single moms out there have. Wow! But we are hanging in there. My youngest, Wyatt, is sick with a chest cold. Always hate to see little ones cough and cough and cough till they cry from a headache! :o( Hopefully all the sleep he is getting from napping all day will help him feel better quickly!

A new test week begins tomorrow for my older kids. I don't know what school is like for my Canadian or Finnish friends who read this blog, but school here is different in so many ways than in the US. One is that they really emphasize testing. So much so that every 4 weeks they have a testing week. It is like massive achievement test week for the whole school. Every day there is a different subject and they send home big study guides for each day of tests. So tomorrow will be the language arts test, then they will have a day for Social Studies a day for English a day for Spanish a day for Science, etc. It gets a little crazy. The kids have to study every night all week (at least achievement tests you just take without extra studying). The teachers sometimes do a better job than others preparing them, but the tests are the bulk of their grade so you have to do well. Ugh. We are in the last trimester of our second year here and I am still not used to this. Seems like so much for such little ones. (Did I mention this begins in the 1st grade? I think I got happy face or sad faces in the 1st grade not a 92 or 87!! Seems so young to start all that!) Anyway, but we are here. And we are making the best of it. And so tonight we will all be studying away!! Wish me luck!!

The one thing I do find amazing is that after not quite two years in the school system here, my kids listen, take notes, read, take exams, write papers, etc. all in Spanish and are doing similar work to the rest of their peers. That is amazing. So I always try to help them keep perspective. They have learned an amazing amount these past two years. I want them to do well on their tests, but if they don't--oh well. I know they are progressing incredibly and am so proud of them!!

Ok, enough Mommy bragging!! What are you all up to?? Why don't you share a bit of your week with me in the comments section--what you are doing, what you are reading, or whatever is on your mind!! Love you all!! --ck

Looking forward to seeing Wyatt do silly things like this again instead of lying in bed coughing like today! I love this little guy to pieces!! :o)

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Hey Chrissy!
We are desperately trying to fit every fun little thing we haven't had time to do into the last two weeks of summer... I love this time of year because I'm cherishing all the time with the kids, yet looking forward to the schedule and routine school will bring. Good stuff.

My husband travels a lot with his new job. I'm getting used to it - and I really appreciate him A LOT when he's home now. It's been good for us. But it is hard to do the single parent thing - I'm amazed at anyone who manages it.

Happy studying - that's a lot of work for little ones...

Anonymous said...

Hi Chrissy! Great picture of Wyatt. I hope he is feeling better. We've been praying for Darrin and the others traveling. Guess what? The stores are filling up with fall things here! Of course, I love it! I even saw bags of candy corn out this week. Hope you get some scrapbooking time this week. The kids work so hard-give them a hug for me!

Mary Jo said...

How wonderful that your children
can do all that in Spanish! What a blessing to have knowledge of two languages.
As for the testing though, it does seem like a lot. Especially so young but you have such a positive attitude about doing the best you can. And that's all you can really do.
Good luck with testing week!