Saturday, June 24, 2006

Fresh fruit Saturdays




Fresh fruit is so plentiful here in San Jose. Every weekend there are huge 'ferias' (which are like gigantic farmers markets) all over the city. It is the best way to get fresh fruit and vegetables at a reasonable price. However, I am often busy Saturday mornings and am always busy Sunday mornings. So I count on people like these. The stock up on the best deals and then drive their fruit laden trucks to a busy intersection or along the side of a major street. People like me who didn't have time to go the feria on Saturday are excited to get their fresh fruit -- and the price is still pretty good. PiƱas -- 3 por 500. Not bad! Three yummy fresh pineapples for just a dollar. I don't know about where you live but I don't think that is a bad price. 33 cents each is a good deal in my book! But you know what is even better? There is a fruit truck that come through my neighborhood two mornings a week. So I am just messing around in the house and hear them yelling "Verduras, frutas" outside and all I have to do is walk to the gate. They see me and drive the truck up to my front gate and I can pick out whatever I need. Then the nice fruit man puts it in a crate and carries it up to my front door. And it's still cheaper than the grocery store. So, if I can't get to the market, the market comes to me. One great thing about life in Central America!! Pura vida!

5 comments:

SusannaT said...

I could just eat up the picture of the pineapple truck.
Delicious!

Susie said...

Look at all the pineapple- yum! Are you all making smoothies down tere like crazy? I would be :) Tell me if you need some smoothie recipes, okay!

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness. I am so jealous!!! I love the idea of having any kind of food delivered to my door - but all that delicious fruit? You gotta be kidding me!!!

And hello!?! Do you have the most wonderful photo opportunities with all that color??? Geez. Your pictures looks like they came straight off the pages of National Geographic.

So fun!

Marie said...

seriously, beautiful pictures!!!!

Anonymous said...

i think im moving just because of those fruit trucks!