Friday, June 09, 2006

pura vida??


Why pura vida? Good question! Literally it is Spanish for "pure life." But here in Costa Rica it has a slightly different connotation. It is much like saying "It's all good." Or "life is good." For example, if you come up to me and say "How are you doing?" I might answer, "Pura Vida!" As in: I'm good; life is good right now. If I meet a friend in passing on the street he might catch my eye and say "Pura Vida!" as he walks by. Or if there is a big soccer game and my husband is walking down the street with his Costa Rican National Team soccer jersey on and another fan spots him he will shout out "Pura Vida!" It's really a catch-all phrase! Kind of a national motto. I often hear people say "Pura Vida, Costa Rica" as if it is all one big happy Costa Rican vibe! Everyone here uses it. I love it because it always has a good, happy, up-beat, optimistic feel to it. I've never heard anyone say 'pura vida' with a sad face or a dejected look. It's a good thing! When Costa Ricans ask me how I like it here or what I think of Costa Rica so far I often answer "Pura Vida!" And it never fails to bring a big smile to their face. I guess that is what I hope for this blog. In the middle of busy life, I hope you can come here, pause for a minute, and leave with a smile on your face! Pura Vida!

7 comments:

Katy said...

oohhh, Chrissy I love this phrase... I think I'll use it at our Vacation Bible School. When volunteers ask me how it is going, how it is all coming together I will have something wonderful to say!

Great blog.

I am no help on the pixly picture question. But I think your blog looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

what a very cool idea for a blog name chrissy! :)

Susie said...

Pura Vida, Chrissy! Love this, love your little happy spot on the Internet :) So happy it all came together for you :)
Blessings to you! Susie

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you, Chrissy!. Now, I get to hear what it is like to be a missionary in a 'cool' place in the world! Maybe I'll take a short-term mission, from my long-term mission, just to shake things up a bit! Pura Vida!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chrissy! I have yet to enter the blog world. This turned out great, I think everything looks fabulous. And I love your blog name. :)

Mary Jo said...

What a beautiful title for your blog!! I love it!
Your banner is beautiful, too!
I've heard so many wonderful things about Costa Rica. I think it would be a great place to go for a trip.
You will have to share some more stories with us about where you live. A friend of mine is down there right now with her Spanish class (it's a trip for her students). I can't to wait to hear about it when she gets back :)

Cathy said...

I love love love your blog name!!! What a great phrase...

I've added you to my 'daily blogs' list - so I can't wait to see what you've got to say!

Welcome to blogging! I have a feeling you're going to love it!